A great man once said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. He wasn't kidding. I can vouch for it.
I'm 33, overweight, and I just started my 20 week road to running a half marathon. Crazy? Absolutely. I haven't ran with any kind of regularity since my year with the USC Silks in college. In fact, it can safely be said that I haven't really ran at all. I volunteered to do a 10k once in 2004 for the corporate challenge. HA! I didn't win but I finished so I got us some points. Pushing a 30 lb stroller with a 3 year old in it. Yeah, life was grand. Maybe that's why I was so much thinner then. Ha!
Truth be told, I intended to do a half marathon on May 1st. During the course of "training", I realized a few things:
1. Running outside in the winter is hardcore and not for most people. That guy you see running by in shorts when there is still snow on the ground? He's a serious runner. His muscles get warm just thinking about running. But when you're learning to run...well, it sucks. It sucks so much that I didn't manage to do it nearly as often as I should.
2. Getting an ambition to run does not mean you should also get an ambition to try other new sports while you are learning to run. Skiing makes your knees and thighs sore - which isn't conducive to running. Snowboarding makes your hamstrings and glutes sore - which isn't conducive to running (I left out that my arms were sore from pushing myself back up so many times, or that my face was sore from...well, you get the picture). Learning to do both while trying to train for a half marathon? Bad idea all around.
3. Running on a treadmill (or as I call it, the dreadmill) is NOT easier than running outside. I know that there is the impact factor which makes the treadmill easier on your joints. However, if you are incapable of keeping your balance properly while the ground is moving, then a treadmill is not for you. It sure as hell isn't for me. I nearly ate it one too many times which left me anxious and unable to let go. I then found out that it's impossible to run while white knuckling the handles. And my gait is totally different on a treadmill which, for some reason, makes my shins want to run away from my body. Fuck you, dreadmill. This girl runs outside.
4. Not every training plan works for everyone. Lots of people have had great success with C25K but all I got was sore shins. Lots of people use the nike training programs but they are really designed for people who already have some running background. Lots of people use epic runner...but those people must just be plain amazing. I envy the lots of people above. One day, I'll be one of them. That day just isn't today.
So here I am. I downloaded a 20 week training program by Jeff Galloway. He designed it for the Disney Princess Half Marathon and gives some really great advice on proper intervals, good warm ups, cross training, and sticking with it. LOVE IT! Check out his site at JeffGalloway.com for lots of great free advice!
I'll be checking in here at least once a week during my journey. Don't wish me luck, I won't need it. Instead, wish me perseverance and some extra determination.
Are you still running..?
ReplyDeleteI have been. I moved everything to a tumblr account after my first 20 week plan failed. Now I think of myself as a runner and I'm back to do some real documenting instead of just posting motivational photos. :)
Delete